Designing and building your dream home is exciting! Whether its your primary residence or second-home, periodic maintenance checks are the key to preventing small problems from turning into big disasters and ensures that everything continues functioning just as it should.
Keep your new home in tip-top condition with these helpful home maintenance tips.
- Clean leaves and debris out of gutters and drainpipes to prevent water from backing up.
- Check their air filters every 30 days and replace them as needed to help keep energy costs down
- Change or clean vents in heating and air conditioning systems, dryers and fans as often as needed. Dust and lint also can quickly build up in the vent hose of your clothes dryer, causing a fire.
- Make sure the refrigerator and freezer door seals tightly; clean coils. Clean fireplaces after winter use; check for loose or missing mortar.
- Seal drafty doors and windows.
- Check screens and storm shutters at beginning of season and repair as needed.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace their batteries as needed or at least twice a year. Make sure you have easily accessible fire extinguishers that are in good working order.
- Hire a professional to check your gas appliances once a year. An expert may find things you wouldn’t catch that could prevent a serious problem from developing.
- Trim any tree branches that are hanging over the house that could cause damage during a storm.