These Unbelievably delicious Chicken Enchilada Zucchini Boats are perfect for weeknight meals.
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (from about 1 lb)
- 4 medium zucchini (2 1/2 lbs), sliced in half through length*
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (be sure they are chopped fine or they won’t cook through)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- For serving: diced Roma tomatoes , chopped cilantro, chopped yellow onion (optional), light sour cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats.
Brush tops and bottoms with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and place in two baking dishes (I used a 13 by 9 and a 9 by 9). Bake in preheated oven until zucchini is nearly tender, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and saute 3 – 4 minutes until soft. Add garlic and saute 10 seconds longer.
Remove from heat, pour in tomato sauce, ancho chili powder, chili powder, cumin and paprika. In a liquid measuring cup whisk together the water and cornstarch until well blended then pour into tomato sauce mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a light boil, stirring frequently. Allow to gently boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in shredded chicken.
Remove zucchini from oven and spoon chicken mixture into zucchini. Sprinkle tops with corn and then cheese blend. Return to oven and bake 5 – 10 minutes longer until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender.
Serve warm topped with diced tomatoes and cilantro, and optional onion and sour cream.
*Look for zucchini that is wider and more uniform in width.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy